Sunday, May 24, 2015

Getting Started at WGU

CU: 009 out of 122

First, let me start by introducing myself, friends call me Thomas, I am a network security engineer at a bank in New England. Army veteran and father of 4. I have tried college a few times but never seem to finish. Life gets in the way, I need to make money, not be in class all day, etc… Anyways, I have heard some great things about WGU. Their class format is designed for someone like me who tends to get bored after I know the material and just wants the class to end. Their cost of attendance is really great also, less than $3K every 6 months at the time of this post. This includes most, if not all, of your materials, as well as any certifications that I need to get along the way!
   
I just got accepted a couple weeks ago, this was a fairly painless process and mostly typical of any college you apply to. You apply, send in transcripts and in my case, supply a work history, similar to a resume. WGU has a pretty high graduation rate and they want to make sure you can do the coursework before they admit you.
   
My first day of class will be on June 1st. I have already done orientation, which went over how the classes are structured, how to go about taking the exam to finish each class, setup my school e-mail and designed a study plan. At some point in the next few days they will assign me a student mentor, who is responsible for helping me stay on track and help design my degree plan. The beauty of WGU is that you only do 1 class at a time, and tuition is only due every 6 months. You are required to complete a minimum of 12 “competency units” every term (6 months) but you are free to complete as many as you can in that time frame with no extra fees. At the top of each of my posts I will keep track of how many "CU's" I have, as well as how many I have left.
   
I plan on writing posts after knocking out each class I have to do. I only had 3 classes that were eligible for transfer, but luckily English Comp I was one of them, that means I only have 1 English writing class to knock out! w00t!

No comments:

Post a Comment